Research & Exploration Activity
Exomars 2016: The Trace Gas Orbiter in orbit around Mars since October 19, 2016
Involvement in space missions
- Mission Collaborator on New Horizons (NASA) which flew by Pluto on July 14, 2015.
- EXOMARS (ESA):
- 2016: Interdisciplinary Scientist (IDS) of the Exomars 2016 mission
- Co-investigator of the Atmospheric Mars Entry Landing Investigations and Analysis AMELIA, on the ESA 2016 Mars
Descent Module Demonstrator
- Project Manager for the characterization of the atmospheric environment, Exomars 2016 Descent Module
(contracts Thales-Alenia, ESA, CNES)
- Lead co-investigator of the suite of spectrometers Atmospheric Chemistry Suite (ACS, PI : O. Korablev) aboard the
Exomars Trace Gas Orbiter 2016. In charge of the ACS data assimilation.
- Co-investigator on the DREAMS surface scientific payload on the ESA 2016 Mars Descent Module Demonstrator, including
the MicroARES electric field sensor.
- Exomars 2020: Co-investigator of the Exomars Panoramic Camera (PanCam) on the 2020 ESA-NASA rover.
- Exomars 2020: Member of the Exomars 2020 Landing Site Selection Working Group
- Mars Express (ESA, around Mars since 2003):
- Interdisciplinary Scientist (IDS) in charge of the atmosphere and surface-atmosphere interaction sciences.
- Co-investigator of OMEGA (NIR imaging spectrometer) and SPICAM (UV and NIR spectrometer) on Mars
- Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (NASA) :
- Co-investigator of the Mars Climate
Sounder (MCS), a thermal infrared limb sounder in orbit since 2005 (PI, D. McCleese, JPL, USA).
- INSIGHT (NASA 2016)
- Co-investigator of the SEIS instrument (PI: P. Lognonne) and the meteorological package
- Member of the proposing team ARIEL (Atmospheric Remote-sensing Infrared Exoplanet Large-survey) , preselected by ESA
for a 2020-2022 launch.
- Venus Express (ESA)
Co-investigator on the SPICAV instrument (but I am not very active)
- NASA MARS 2020 rover:
Instrument Scientist on the proposed MARs Boundary Layer Lidar experiment (MARBLL) with PI Franck
- In 2010, Co-Principal Investigator of the Submillimeter Observations for Atmospheric Research (SOAR) to be
developed in the USA (JPL, M. Allen) and France. Proposed for the Exomars Trace Gas Orbiter and selected in payload B. Too expensive !
- In 2000-2002 : Principal Investigator of the "Mars Atmosphere Microwave Brightness Observer" (MAMBO), planned
to be the first microwave sounder around another planet (cancelled in phase B along with the Mars PREMIER mission).
My research is primarily focused on the development of Global Climate Models (GCM) designed to accurately simulate the environment
on other planets. The scientific applications are countless. On this basis, I am also deeply involved in space exploration, observations
analysis, and space instrumentation
- Modelling and theoretical studies on Extra-solar planets and their habitability
- Development of a new kind of 3D Universal climate model aiming at simulating any terrestrial atmospheres with any given cocktail of
gases, clouds and aerosols, for any planetary size, and around any star. Applications :
- Study of the habitability of Proxima b (with my student Martin Turbet)
- Demonstration that Gliese 581d is the first discovered terrestrial planet in the habitable zone (with post-doc R. Wordsworth)
- First 3D modelling of the runaway greenhouse phenomenon at the inner edge of the habitable zone (with postdoc J. Leconte).
- 3D simulations of the Early Earth Climate (Archean). Resolution of the faint young sun problem (with my student B. Charnay).
- And much more...
- Development of the first complete Pluto global climate model (including the methane cycle) and interpretation of the the NASA New
Horizons mission in 2015 (with my students T. Bertrand & M. Vangvichith, LMD)
- Explication of the distribution of glaciers and Pluto on Pluton with a Pluto thermal model able to run for 100,000 years
- Triton: Development of the first complete Global Climate Model of Triton, satellite of Neptune observed by Voyager 2
- Venus: Development of the first true General Circulation Model of the Venus atmosphere (project led by Sebastien
- Development of the LMD Mars Global Climate Model (GCM), used by several teams around the world.
- Analysis of Mars Spacecraft observations: ESA Mars Express, Current NASA Missions, Exomars Trace Gas orbiter, etc.
- PI of the Mars Climate database project supported by ESA -since 1995-
and CNES -since 2001-, developped in collaboration with the University of Oxford/Open University (UK) and IAA (Spain). The database is an
engineering and scientific tool now used to prepare and analyse most Martian missions. The DVD-rom version has been delivered to more than
150 teams in 20 different countries. The database is also available on an interactive
- Analysis of the Martian CO2, dust and water cycle, using both modelling and data analysis
- Development of mesoscale and microscale Mars atmospheric model (project led by Aymeric Spiga)
- Study of water related geological features on Mars: glaciers, gullies, Ice mantling.
- Development of the first coupled mars atmosphere-thermosphere-ionosphere model (collaboration).
- Development of the first 3D photochemical model of the martian atmosphere (project led by Franck Lefevre, LATMOS).
Prediction of Ozone, and investigation on the Martian Methane enigma.
- Study of the climate on Early Mars, 3.8 Byr ago. Development of 3D climate models.